Saturday, March 2, 2013

Healthy Peanut Butter Bars with Chocolate Frosting!!!

Hey so in my opinion the two foods that go together best in this world are peanut butter and chocolate. I know not everyone agrees or even like peanut butter and chocolate but for those of you who do I understand. Generally peanut butter bars require a lot of butter, sugar, and peanut butter which are all delicious but not necessarily great for you in large amounts. I decided to make a bar that cut back on the butter and sugar and added whole grains to create some semblance of a healthy treat. But lets get real you want to be healthy but you also want dessert. So I say let yourself have a treat but just try to make it as healthy as you can!!!! I hope you enjoy these as much as I have:)





Cookie Base:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup ground oats (I used a blender)
1/2 teaspoon or a little less of salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 Tablespoon milk (can use a little more if it is too thick)

Directions:
1. cream peanut butter, melted butter, and sugar
2. Mix in vanilla, eggs, and milk
3. Mix in all the dry ingredients (this is when you add an extra T milk if too thick)
-Pour into a 9 X 13 pan or really mush into because it will be a little like cookie dough
4. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (check after 15 just in case your oven cooks fast or you like them doughier)
-You can use an 8X8 pan like I did but you will have thicker bars and need to cook it an additional 5-10 minutes based on how your oven cooks. I chose to cook thick bars and cut them smaller. Its your decision so you can go either way.
5. Frost 5 min out of the oven

Icing (chocolate glaze): You can put a thicker frosting on but I chose to just glaze it fresh out of the oven)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 T melted butter
1/4-1/2 cup melted chocolate chips
a few tablespoons of milk to desired consistency
-If you want real icing use a different recipe because this is meant to melt on top as a glaze.


No comments:

Post a Comment