Friday, February 8, 2013

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

In my opinion the two most amazing foods in the world are homemade honey whole wheat bread and homemade oatmeal with cinnamon and honey.....I know its weird but these are my comfort foods. I would like to share with you my favorite recipe for honey whole wheat bread today and hopefully you enjoy it as much as I have...

Honey Whole Wheat Bread 


Ingredients: 
1 1/2 T yeast
1/3 cup honey
2 cups of warm water
3-4 cups whole wheat flour
1 t salt 
*optional add ons such as sunflower seeds, oatmeal, or sesame seeds 

Directions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Place 2 cups of warm water in a mixer or big bowl. 
3. Add yeast and honey to the warm water and stir a little. Let it sit for 5 mins or until it starts to bubble and foam a little on top.
4. Add 2 cups of flour and the salt and begin to mix/knead. 
5. Slowly add flour in 1/2 cup increments until the dough pulls away from the side but is still a little sticky. 
6. If in a mixer beat for 4 min or if you are kneading it by hand do it for a little longer.
7. Make sure the bread pan is well greased and floured and place bread inside.
8. Let the bread rise for 1 hour in the pan until it has almost doubled in size. You can make two smaller loaves instead of one giant one. 
9. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes until golden brown on top. 
10. Let cool, slice , and enjoy... I especially love mine with peanut butter and honey:) 


Healthy Additions (optional): 
 *I like to add a 1/2 cup of old fashion oats to my bread dough.
* I also enjoy sprinkling sunflower seeds on top of the bread before I let it rise or putting 1/4 cup of them in the dough.
* you can also use white wheat flour if you are not a fan of darker wheat bread 

No comments:

Post a Comment